Senior SNAP

Senior SNAP is a simplified application project designed to make it easier for seniors to receive food stamp benefits.


You may receive Senior SNAP assistance if:

  • All members of your household are 60 years of age or older and purchase and prepare their food together.


  • The members of your household are not working.


  • Your household is under the income limits to be eligible for SNAP participation.


  • Your household has a permanent fixed income such as social security, SSI, private, state or federal retirement, VA, railroad retirement.


  • You don’t have to go to a DFCS office to apply.
  • You are not required to have an appointment or interview at application or review.
  • Once you are approved, your SNAP Benefits will go into a special account and we will send you an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card to use every month for buying groceries. Your EBT card works just like a bank debit card at the grocery store.



Mail your completed application to:
Georgia Senior SNAP
P.O. Box 537
Avondale Estates, GA 30002


Individuals 60 years and older, or disabled, are eligible for medical deductions.

How do medical deductions work?

Medical expenses that add up to more than $35 per month can be used to decrease your gross income and increase the amount of food stamps you are eligible to receive.

What are medical expenses?

  • Medical and dental care
  • Hospitalization, outpatient treatment, and nursing home care
  • Prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications prescribed by your doctor
  • Medical supplies and medical equipment prescribed by your doctor (including the cost of renting)
  • Eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, dentures, and prosthetic devices prescribed by a doctor
  • Health insurance and prescription drug insurance premiums
  • Medicare and Medicare supplement premiums
  • Transportation and lodging to get medical treatment (such as trips to the doctor, dentist, pharmacy for prescriptions, etc.) This includes the cost of mileage, parking, bus, taxi, etc.
  • Maintaining a homemaker, home health aide, child care services, or a housekeeper that is necessary because of your age, health condition, or illness
  • Cost of telephone equipment specially designed for a disabled person

If you have any of these medical expenses and they total more than $35 a month, put them on your food stamp application to receive medical deductions.

You will have to provide verification of these expenses in order to get a medical deduction. Examples of acceptable verification for these expenses include insurance statements, medical bills, and receipts with prescriptions.

Senior SNAP Medical Deductions
Senior SNAP Medical Deductions (Spanish)
Senior SNAP Brochure
Senior SNAP Brochure (Spanish)


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)          mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture 
              Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
              1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
              Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)          fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)          email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

You may also file a complaint of discrimination by contacting the DFCS Civil Rights Program, Two Peachtree Street, N.W., Suite 19-248, Atlanta, Georgia 30303 or call (404) 657-3735 or fax (404) 463-3978. For limited English proficient and sensory impaired services, contact the DHS Limited English Proficiency and Sensory Impaired Program at: Two Peachtree Street, N.W., Suite 29-103 N.W., Atlanta, GA 30303 or call (404)-657-5244 or fax (404)-651-6815.