State of Georgia Post-Secondary Tuition Waiver
What is the State of Georgia Post-Secondary Tuition Waiver?
The State of Georgia Post-Secondary Tuition Waiver Program exempts or waives payment of tuition and fees (and where applicable, on-campus housing) for students attending a technical college within the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG). Eligible students must be a youth or young adult between the ages of 18-27 who is currently in foster care, has experienced foster care, or who was placed for adoption by the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services.
Do I Qualify?
As outlined within Georgia Code Sections 20-3-66 and 20-3-660, you must apply under one of the two eligibility criteria as described below:
☐ Foster Care Eligibility (must meet one of the criteria below)
- Currently in the custody of the Georgia Department of Family and Children Services; OR
- Under age 28 and was in foster care for at least 6 months following your 14th birthday; OR
- Under age 28 and exited foster care at age 18
☐ Adoption Applicant Eligibility
- The student's (Applicant) family currently receives adoption assistance for the student; and the student was placed for adoption by the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services following their thirteenth birthday; OR
- The student (Applicant) is an adopted person under age 28; and was in the permanent legal custody of Georgia and placed for adoption by the Division of Family and Children Services following their 14th birthday.
In order to qualify for the tuition and fee waiver an applicant must:
- Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien who meets the definition of an eligible noncitizen under federal Title IV requirements.
- Be under the age of 28.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be currently enrolled full-time or part-time in a public postsecondary educational institution or be accepted for admission to a public postsecondary educational institution within 3 years of receiving a high school or GED diploma.
- Remain in good standing and meet the standard for satisfactory academic progress as defined by the public postsecondary educational institution (a grade point average (GPA) that satisfies the college/university's policy regarding eligibility for financial aid).
Note: If the student (applicant) does not maintain the required GPA or completes a semester with excessive hours, the student is no longer eligible to receive the tuition and fee waiver for the next semester or term. The student may only re-qualify for the waiver by completing a semester or term that meets the GPA requirement during that semester or term.
The eligibility determination does not represent the approval or admission into a technical college, university, or school of choice. This eligibility determination only provides the determination of the applicant’s eligibility for the State’s Tuition Waiver Program within Code Sections 20-3-66 and 20-3-660.
After the eligibility determination has been provided to the applicant, a program representative will provide follow up and communication to the applicant and the Academic Institution entered on the Tuition Waiver application.
For more information, please see https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legislation/document/20212022/199444 or see the State of Georgia Post-Secondary Tuition Waiver Program FAQ’s:
Helpful Information to Have Available Prior to Completing this Tuition Waiver Application
- Name of Academic Institution you are attending (or plan to attend)
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Email address where you receive email
- Current mailing address where you receive mail