Refugee Program

*If you need help reading this information or communicating with us, ask us or call 1-877-423-4746. Our services, including interpreters, are free. If you are deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf-blind or have difficulty speaking, you can call us at the number above by dialing 711 (Georgia Relay).

The mission of the Georgia Department of Human Services is to strengthen Georgia by providing individuals and families access to services that promote self-sufficiency, independence and protect Georgia's vulnerable children and adults.

In Georgia, the Department of Human Services Refugee Program supports this mission by administering the federally funded Refugee Program. Georgia has a State Refugee Coordinator, who is responsible for coordinating public and private resources for refugees.

The primary goal of Georgia’s Refugee Program is to encourage economic self-sufficiency of refugees after entrance to Georgia. This means the refugees must become self-reliant to meet their basic needs, within the shortest possible period.

Services for refugees are coordinated with the private sector, which provides job development, placement and specialized training opportunities, as well as contracted support service activities with a consortium of refugee voluntary agencies.

If you would like to apply for SNAP, Medical Assistance, TANF, or Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) in your preferred language see below.

How to apply 

Print an application and fill out as much information as possible and mail the paper application to your local DFCS office.

Form 297 – Application for  SNAP (Food Stamp), TANF, Food Stamp and  Medical Assistance in other languages:

Form 297A - Rights and Responsibilities in other languages:

Download this pdf file. Notice of Free Interpretation Services and Accessibility Assistance Services Poster

If you have difficulty communicating with us because you do not speak English or have a disability, please notify a staff person. Free interpretation services, translated materials or other assistance is available upon request.


Self-service application options

Log on to and select “Apply for Benefits.” Hours available to apply are Monday-Friday 5 a.m. to midnight, excluding weekends and holidays.

By Phone:
Telephone applications may be submitted by calling the Customer Contact Center at (877) 423-4746.

An application is considered filed when it has the name of the head of household, address, date and signature of the head of household or another household member and is received by DFCS.

DFCS Reasonable Modifications and Communication Assistance Request Form for Persons with Disabilities

If you have a disability and need a reasonable modification or communication assistance to access DFCS services,    you can request a reasonable modification, communication assistance, extra help or  learn more about the rights of customers with disabilities by using this hyperlink to access the DFCS Reasonable Modifications and Communication Assistance Request Form for Persons with Disabilities.

Form 508–  Food Stamp / Medicaid / TANF Renewal Form in other languages:

All Refugee Cash Assistance recipients are required to complete a periodic review to continue their eligibility for benefits. A renewal form and any required verification can be submitted in Georgia Gateway or by using Form 508 – FOOD STAMP / MEDICAID / TANF Renewal Form.

Form 508 – Food Stamp / Medicaid / TANF Renewal Form in other languages:

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights laws and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Programs that receive federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and programs HHS directly operates are also prohibited from discrimination under federal civil rights laws and HHS regulations.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or who have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


USDA provides federal financial assistance for many food security and hunger reduction programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) and others. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) (found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office) or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334, Alexandria, VA 22314; or
  2. fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. phone: (833) 620-1071; or
  4. email: [email protected].

For any other information regarding SNAP issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP hotline number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish, or call the state information/hotline numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by state); found online at: SNAP hotline.


HHS provides federal financial assistance for many programs to enhance health and well-being, including TANF, Head Start, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and others. If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), or religion in programs or activities that HHS directly operates or to which HHS provides federal financial assistance, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) for yourself or for someone else.

To file a complaint of discrimination for yourself or someone else regarding a program receiving federal financial assistance through HHS, complete the form online through OCR’s Complaint Portal at You may also contact OCR via mail at: Centralized Case Management Operations, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Room 509F HHH Bldg., Washington, D.C. 20201; fax: (202) 619-3818; or email: [email protected]. For faster processing, we encourage you to use the OCR online portal to file complaints rather than filing via mail. Persons who need assistance with filing a civil rights complaint can email OCR at [email protected] or call OCR toll-free at 1-800-368-1019, TDD 1-800-537-7697. For persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech difficulties, please dial 7-1-1 to access telecommunications relay services. We also provide alternative formats (such as Braille and large print), auxiliary aids and language assistance services free of charge for filing a complaint.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Under the Department of Human Services (DHS), you may also file other discrimination complaints by contacting your local DFCS office, or the DFCS Civil Rights, ADA/Section 504 Coordinator at 47 Trinity Ave. S.W., Atlanta, Georgia 30334,​​​​​​​ 404-657-3735. For complaints alleging discrimination based on limited English proficiency, contact the DHS Limited English Proficiency and Sensory Impairment Program at: 47 Trinity Ave. S.W., Atlanta, Georgia 30334, or call 404-657-5244 (voice).

Virtual Lobby Resources

Download this pdf file. Food Stamp Rights

Download this pdf file. HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices

Download this pdf file. Justice For All 

Download this pdf file. Notice of Free Interpretation Services and Accessibility Assistance Services Poster

Download this pdf file. ADA/Section 504 Poster