Pandemic Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (P-TANF)
On March 11, 2021, the President signed the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). It established the Pandemic Emergency Assistance Fund (PEAF) in section 403(c) of the Social Security Act. The PEAF provided funding to states to assist needy families impacted by the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Pandemic TANF (P-TANF) funds were derived from PEAF.
In Georgia, P-TANF provides a one-time payment for individuals who were eligible for and correctly received TANF cash assistance between April 1, 2020 to September 30, 2021.
Those who are eligible for P-TANF have already been determined and no new eligibility will be established. Families who are eligible will receive a notice indicating such on or around April 6, 2022. No further action is required. Eligibility requirements have previously been met.
Recipients will access their P-TANF benefits via the TANF EPPICard Debit Mastercard used while receiving TANF. If that card has been misplaced, recipients should call 1- 800-656-1347 to request a new one. If the PIN number has been forgotten, recipients should call 1-800-656-1347 to request a new one.
A dedicated, temporary phone line will open on April 6, 2022, for constituents with questions concerning P-TANF. The number is 866-GA-PTANF (866-782-6342). Lines will be open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
P-TANF benefits be distributed in addition to any regular monthly TANF issuance. The P-TANF amount is based on the number of eligible individuals in the family. Each eligible individual will be issued $775.
The date of issuance will be April 13, 2022.
- What is P-TANF? P-TANF provides a one-time payment for families who were eligible for and correctly received TANF cash assistance. This payment is to assist families with any financial needs arising from the pandemic.
- Who is eligible for P-TANF? Families must have been eligible for and correctly received TANF cash assistance between April 2020 - September 2021.
- What are the income limits to apply for P-TANF? Families cannot apply for P- TANF. To be eligible for P-TANF benefits, the family must have been eligible for and correctly received TANF cash assistance between April 2020 - September 2021.
- Will receiving P-TANF impact my status for any future applications? No.
- Does P-TANF count in the TANF time clock? No.
- How will I receive my P-TANF benefits? P-TANF funds will be issued via the EPPICard Debit Mastercard on which TANF benefits were originally issued.
- What if I lost my EPPICard? If you need a new EPPICard, call 1-800-656-1347 to order a new card. The EPPICard will be mailed to the address listed on your TANF case. If you need to make a change to your address, please call the Customer Contact Center at 1-877-423-4746.
- How much will I get in P-TANF benefits? The P-TANF amount will be based on the number of eligible individuals in the family. Each eligible individual in the family will be issued $775.
- How long will I have to use P-TANF benefits? Indefinitely.
- Are there any P-TANF work requirements? There are no work requirements for P-TANF.
- Are there any mandatory TANF forms to be completed by P-TANF customers? No.
- Will customers be able to call and ask questions? Yes, the P-TANF Call Center Staff number is 866-782-6342 (866-GA-PTANF). The dedicated phone line will be available through May 31, 2022.
- How can a customer verify their P-TANF eligibility? A notice will be mailed to all eligible families.
- Does an interview take place? No.
- When will P-TANF cash assistance distributions begin? All P-TANF distributions will occur on April 13, 2022.
- Are applicants required to refer the absent parents to Child Support Enforcement? Applicants will not be required to refer their absent parent to Child Support Enforcement.
- Will Family Cap children be eligible for P-TANF? If a child is a family cap child, they will be eligible for P-TANF.
- Does receipt of TANF support service payments issued from April 2020 through September 2021 count as a month of TANF eligibility and cash assistance? TANF support service payments issued for April 2020 through September 2021 do not count as a month of TANF eligibility or TANF cash assistance.