The Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS) has received federal approval for its plan to replace 50 percent of SNAP benefits issued between August 15-30, 2023, to SNAP recipients that live in the following counties affected by Hurricane Idalia:
This mass benefit replacement will allow affected SNAP households to receive replacement benefits without needing to visit their local DFCS offices to sign affidavits attesting to food loss. Eligible households will automatically receive the benefits on their EBT cards as soon as October 14, 2023. See the issuance information below for more details on eligibility and timing. For households that have already applied for replacement benefits:
- If DHS determines that a household has not received at least 50 percent in replacement benefits, the remaining benefits will be issued by October 31, 2023. For example, if a household received $200 in SNAP benefits on August 17, 2023, and that household originally requested 10 percent replacement benefits for food loss and received $20 in replacement benefits, then an additional $80 is due to the household to equal 50 percent of their total August benefits.
- Households that have already received replacement benefits equal to or greater than 50 percent of their August allotment will not receive any additional benefits. For example, if a household received $200 in SNAP benefits on August 17, 2023, and requested 100 percent replacement benefits for food loss and received $200 in replacement benefits, then no additional benefits are due to that household.
Who will receive the mass replacement benefits?
Mass replacement benefits will be issued on October 14, 2023, to:
- Households in the affected counties (listed above) that did not previously apply for or receive replacement benefits, if they received August SNAP benefits between August 15-30, 2023.
Mass replacement benefits will be issued by October 31, 2023, to:
- Households that applied for replacement benefits but did not receive up to 50 percent of their August SNAP benefits. These households will be issued the difference between what they have already received to ensure they receive a replacement of 50 percent of their August benefits.
Mass replacements are not authorized for the following SNAP households:
- Households residing outside of the approved counties;
- Households that received benefits prior to August 15, 2023; and/or
- Households that received replacement benefits equal to or greater than 50 percent of their August allotment.